Chicken tortilla soup is a popular dish in Mexico and the southwestern region of the United States. It is a staple in many Mexican restaurants and is commonly enjoyed in homes throughout Mexico and the U.S. The soup is a flavorful and satisfying comfort food that is perfect for cold or rainy days. It’s also a versatile dish that can be easily customized to suit individual tastes by adjusting the level of spice or adding additional toppings. Overall, chicken tortilla soup is a beloved dish in many parts of the world and has gained popularity due to its delicious taste and easy preparation.
Chicken tortilla soup Ingredients
Chicken tortilla soup is a delicious and flavorful soup that is perfect for a cozy night in or a quick and easy meal. Here’s a simple recipe for making chicken tortilla soup:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) corn, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- Sour cream (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño pepper, and red bell pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and lime juice to the pot. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious chicken tortilla soup!
Calories count in Chicken tortilla soup
The calorie count of chicken tortilla soup can vary depending on the ingredients and serving size. However, a typical serving of chicken tortilla soup made with the recipe above may contain approximately 250-300 calories. This estimate is based on using 1 lb of chicken breast, and 1 can each of black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. Keep in mind that the calorie count may increase if you add additional toppings such as sour cream or cheese. To get a more accurate calorie count, you can use a calorie tracking app or website to input the exact ingredients and serving size of your soup.