Lemony Chicken Vegetable Soup is a light and refreshing soup that combines the flavors of tender chicken, a variety of vegetables, and the zesty brightness of lemon. Here’s a simple recipe for you to enjoy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth (homemade or low-sodium)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and sauté until it becomes translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add the sliced carrots and celery to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the diced zucchini and yellow squash to the pot and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and add the bay leaf, dried thyme, and dried oregano. Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Once the vegetables are tender, add the cooked chicken to the pot and let it heat through in the soup.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest, and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the flavors to meld together by letting the soup simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve the Lemony Chicken Vegetable Soup hot, garnished with freshly chopped parsley for added color and freshness.
Enjoy this delicious and comforting Lemony Chicken Vegetable Soup, which is perfect for a light lunch or dinner. The lemony flavor adds a delightful twist to the traditional chicken vegetable soup, making it a refreshing and satisfying meal.
Lemony Chicken Vegetable Soup calories count
The calorie count for Lemony Chicken Vegetable Soup can vary based on the specific ingredients and portion sizes used. Below is a general estimate based on the ingredients and quantities listed in the recipe:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil: ~120 calories
- 1 onion: ~40 calories
- 3 cloves garlic: ~15 calories
- 2 carrots: ~50 calories
- 2 celery stalks: ~20 calories
- 1 zucchini: ~30 calories
- 1 yellow squash: ~30 calories
- 6 cups chicken broth: ~120 calories (assuming low-calorie or homemade)
- 2 cups cooked chicken: ~300-400 calories (depending on the type and amount of chicken used)
- 1 bay leaf: ~1 calorie (negligible)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme: ~3 calories
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano: ~2 calories
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon: ~10-15 calories (depending on the size of the lemon)
- Salt and pepper: ~negligible calories
- Fresh parsley: ~1 calorie (for garnish)
Total estimated calories for the entire recipe: ~700-800 calories
Please remember that these are rough estimates, and the actual calorie count may vary based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients you use. Additionally, the calorie count may change if you make any modifications to the recipe or use different types of chicken.
To calculate the calories per serving, you can divide the total estimated calories by the number of servings you get from the recipe. For example, if you divide the total by 4 (assuming 4 servings), each serving would be approximately 175-200 calories (again, this is an estimate).
For a more accurate calorie count, you can use a nutrition calculator or input the exact amounts and brands of ingredients you use into a recipe calculator to get a precise value.