Chicken tikka masala is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that consists of marinated and grilled pieces of chicken cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce. The dish is believed to have originated in the UK, where it is now considered a national dish.
To make chicken tikka masala, chicken is first marinated in a mixture of yogurt and spices, including cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. The marinated chicken is then grilled or baked until it is tender and slightly charred.
The sauce is made by sautéing onions, ginger, and garlic in a pan until they are soft and fragrant. Tomatoes and a blend of spices are then added to the pan and cooked until the mixture becomes thick and pulpy. Finally, the cream is added to the mixture to give it a rich, creamy texture.
The grilled chicken is then added to the sauce and allowed to simmer for a few minutes so that the flavors can meld together. The dish is typically served with rice or naan bread.
Here is a recipe to make chicken tikka masala:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat evenly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange the marinated chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and their juices to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Cook until the tomato mixture is thick and pulpy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cream to the skillet and stir until well combined. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Add the baked chicken to the skillet and stir until well coated with the sauce. Simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with rice or naan bread.
Enjoy your homemade chicken tikka masala!
Calories Count in chicken tikka masala
The number of calories in chicken tikka masala can vary depending on the ingredients used and the serving size. However, a typical serving of chicken tikka masala contains around 400-500 calories.
The grilled chicken used in the dish is generally a lean protein, but the creamy sauce made with heavy cream can contribute to a higher calorie count. To reduce the calorie count of chicken tikka masala, you can use low-fat yogurt instead of heavy cream or use a smaller amount of cream. Additionally, you can use skinless chicken breast to reduce the overall fat content of the dish.
If you are tracking your calorie intake, it is important to consider the serving size and the other foods you eat throughout the day. You can also consult a registered dietitian for personalized recommendations on how to make healthy choices while still enjoying flavorful dishes like chicken tikka masala.