Chicken salad is a dish typically made with cooked chicken, mayonnaise, and various other ingredients, such as celery, onion, and herbs. It is often served as a sandwich filling or as a topping for salads. Chicken salad can be customized to individual tastes by adding different ingredients such as grapes, apples, nuts, or dried cranberries. It is a popular dish in many parts of the world and can be found in restaurants, cafes, and supermarkets. Chicken salad is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a light lunch or as part of a larger meal.
Chicken salad Recipe
Here’s a simple recipe for the chicken salad:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded or diced chicken, diced celery, diced red onion, and chopped parsley.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the chicken mixture and stir until well combined.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken salad for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the chicken salad as a sandwich filling or as a topping for a green salad.
Enjoy your homemade chicken salad!
Chicken salad Health Benefits
Chicken salad can have several health benefits, depending on the ingredients used in the recipe. Here are a few potential health benefits:
- Good source of protein: Chicken is a lean source of protein, which is important for building and repairing muscles, tissues, and cells in the body.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals: Chicken contains several important vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin B12, which supports nerve function and DNA synthesis, and selenium, which helps protect cells from damage.
- May aid in weight management: Chicken salad can be a satisfying and filling meal that can help you feel full for longer. This may help with weight management by reducing the likelihood of overeating or snacking between meals.
- It can be a good source of fiber: If you add ingredients like celery, apples, or grapes to your chicken salad, you can increase its fiber content. Fiber is important for digestive health and can help lower cholesterol levels and regulate blood sugar.
- Can be low in carbohydrates: Depending on the recipe, chicken salad can be low in carbohydrates, which can be beneficial for those following a low-carb or ketogenic diet.
It’s important to note that the overall healthfulness of chicken salad depends on the ingredients used and the portion size consumed. For example, excessive amounts of mayonnaise or high-calorie ingredients like bacon or cheese can increase the calorie and fat content of the dish.
Calories Count in Chicken salad
The number of calories in a serving of chicken salad can vary depending on the ingredients used and the serving size. However, here’s an estimate of the calorie count for a basic chicken salad recipe:
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced: 280 calories
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise: 720 calories
- 1/4 cup diced celery: 4 calories
- 1/4 cup diced red onion: 16 calories
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley: 2 calories
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice: 3 calories
Total calories: 1,025 calories
This recipe would yield about 4 servings so each serving would be approximately 256 calories. It’s worth noting that this is just an estimate and the calorie count could vary depending on the specific ingredients and measurements used. If you’re trying to manage your calorie intake, you can adjust the portion size or swap out ingredients to lower the overall calorie count. For example, using low-fat or light mayonnaise or swapping some of the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt can reduce the calorie count of the Chicken salad recipe.