Chicken fried rice is a delicious and popular dish that is commonly found in Chinese restaurants and on takeout menus. It typically consists of cooked white rice stir-fried with diced chicken, eggs, vegetables such as carrots, peas, and onions, and soy sauce for flavor. Some recipes may also include other ingredients such as sesame oil, garlic, ginger, or green onions.
To make chicken fried rice at home, you will need:
- 3 cups cooked white rice (preferably leftover)
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables are heated through.
- Push the chicken and vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs until cooked through.
- Add the cooked rice and soy sauce to the skillet, stirring to combine all the ingredients.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the rice, is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Your chicken fried rice is now ready to serve!
Is this healthy or not?
The healthiness of chicken fried rice depends on various factors, such as the ingredients used and the serving size. Here are some things to consider:
- Nutritional value: Chicken fried rice can be a good source of protein and carbohydrates, but it can also be high in fat and sodium, especially if a lot of oil and soy sauce are used in the recipe. You can make it healthier by using less oil and sodium, and by adding more vegetables to increase the fiber content.
- Portion size: The serving size of chicken fried rice can vary depending on the recipe and the restaurant. A standard serving size is about 1 cup or 200-250 grams, which provides approximately 450-500 calories. However, some restaurants may serve larger portions, which can significantly increase the calorie intake.
- Overall diet: Whether chicken fried rice is healthy or not also depends on your overall diet and lifestyle. If you eat a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods and nutrients, and if you exercise regularly, then chicken fried rice can be a part of a healthy diet in moderation.
In conclusion, chicken fried rice can be a healthy choice if you choose a recipe with nutritious ingredients and eat it in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Nutritional value of Chicken fried Rice
The nutritional value of chicken fried rice can vary depending on the specific ingredients and cooking methods used, but here is a general breakdown of its nutritional content based on the recipe provided:
- Calories: approximately 450-500 calories per serving (1/4 of the recipe)
- Protein: about 25 grams per serving
- Carbohydrates: approximately 50 grams per serving
- Fat: about 15-20 grams per serving, depending on the amount of oil used
- Fiber: 3-4 grams per serving
- Sodium: approximately 1000-1200 mg per serving, depending on the amount of soy sauce used
Chicken fried rice is a good source of protein and carbohydrates, but it can be high in sodium and fat depending on the recipe. You can make it healthier by using less oil and sodium, and by adding more vegetables such as broccoli, mushrooms, or bell peppers. Additionally, using brown rice instead of white rice can increase the fiber content of the dish.
How much it takes to cook?
The time it takes to cook chicken fried rice can vary depending on the recipe and cooking method used. Here is a rough estimate of the time required for the recipe provided:
- Cooking the rice: This will depend on the type of rice you use and whether you are cooking it from scratch or using leftover rice. Typically, it takes about 20-30 minutes to cook white rice from scratch, or you can use leftover rice that has been stored in the fridge for at least a few hours or overnight.
- Preparing the ingredients: It takes about 10-15 minutes to dice the chicken, chop the onions and beat the eggs. If using frozen peas and carrots, they will need to be thawed before cooking.
- Cooking the chicken and vegetables: This takes about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces and how quickly they cook. You will need to cook the chicken until it is browned and cooked through, then add the onions and vegetables and cook until they are softened.
- Scrambling the eggs: This takes about 2-3 minutes, depending on how runny or firm you like your eggs.
- Combining and heating the ingredients: This takes about 2-3 minutes, once you have added the cooked rice and soy sauce to the skillet and stirred to combine everything.
Overall, it takes approximately 45-60 minutes to cook chicken fried rice from scratch, depending on the cooking method and level of experience. However, if you use leftover rice and pre-cooked chicken, you can significantly reduce the cooking time.