I will share with you 5 common foods that are considered extremely toxic according to both Ayurveda and modern science and 5 Poisonous Foods That Can Kill You. These foods can make you seriously ill or even be deadly. Let’s get started.
#5: Bitter Bottle Gourd
Bottle gourd, also known as Lauki, is often considered a healthy vegetable due to its fiber and antioxidant content. However, if the bottle gourd is bitter in taste, it can be fatal. Bitter bottle gourd contains toxic compounds that can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, shock, and even death. Several cases have been reported where people fell seriously ill or died after consuming bitter bottle gourd. Ayurveda has always warned against the damaging effects of consuming it, and recent research by the Indian Council of Medical Research has confirmed its potential for serious complications. If you plan to use bottle gourd, always taste a small piece to ensure it’s not bitter.
#4: Green Potatoes
Potatoes are a staple in Indian kitchens and are packed with vitamins and minerals. However, when potatoes turn green, a compound called Solanine increases. Solanine is a neurotoxin that can cause nausea, headaches, and serious neurological problems when ingested by humans. In rare cases, it can even lead to death. Even cooking does not eliminate solanine, so it’s best to discard green potatoes or at least remove the green parts before cooking them.
#3: Unset Curd
Curd, a popular dairy product, is known for promoting digestion. However, if curd is not properly formed or is semi-formed (called Manda dahi), it can block the subtle channels of the body and aggravate all three doshas. Consuming such curd can cause constipation, weight gain, allergies, and joint stiffness. It’s advisable to avoid consuming curd that has not been properly set and instead use it for hair conditioning or as a face pack.
#2: Bitter Almonds
Almonds are considered healthy snacks, but bitter almonds should never be chewed or ingested. Bitter almonds contain a toxic chemical that breaks down into cyanide in the body. Cyanide blocks the oxygen passage and can cause choking, slow down the nervous system, and lead to breathing problems. Ingesting a significant amount of bitter almonds can be toxic and potentially lethal. It’s important to buy fresh almonds and avoid consuming bitter ones.
#1: Heated Honey
While raw honey contains various nutrients and antioxidants, it should never be heated. Heating honey transforms its texture and produces a poisonous substance called HMF (hydroxymethylfurfural) in the digestive tract. Consuming heated honey can lead to congestion, weight gain, respiratory issues, digestive problems, and, in rare cases, even be fatal. To enjoy the benefits of honey, add it to warm (not hot) tea or water.
So, take care of your health and your family by avoiding these 5 Poisonous Foods That Can Kill You and your family.